Email me at thekeytothegate@gmail.com

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Unbroken




Click the image to buy this title from Amazon.

   
I always learn something from every book I read. Within its story, there is most often a theme or message that causes me to think beyond the characters and situations described. But some books have such a great impact that I am certain they will remain with me for the rest of my days. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand, author of Seabiscuit: An American Legend, is one of those books.

I don't want to give away too many details because I highly encourage you to read this book if you have yet to do so. Unbroken is a recount of the life of Louis Zamperini, an Olympic runner, who enlists in WWII serving as a bombardier in the Army Air Force. After the B-24 on which Zamperini is serving on a search and rescue mission crashes in the Pacific Ocean, he is taken on a journey that no one could imagine and few could endure.

It is a book that reminds us of the importance of small acts of kindness even in the midst of the horrors of war, and why this group of men and women are considered "the greatest generation." Unbroken is a beautiful salute to our veterans. It is a story of resilience, inspiration, faith, survival, and how one man refused to be broken.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin